Entry Visas

Anyone who wishes to officially enter the United States and all of its territories will be required to obtain an entry visa. The only exceptions to this rule are the following:

*They are a permanent United States resident

*They are a permanent resident of Canada

*They are a citizen of all 38 countries that participate in the Visa Waiver Program

*They are a citizen of the Bahamas

*They hold a Form I-512

There are also two main categories of visas:

*Nonimmigrant visa

*Immigrant visa

Nonimmigrant visas are designed for more temporary visits that include work, tourism, studying, or visiting family. On the opposite end, immigrant visas are designed for those who seek to immigrate to the United States. Individuals with this type of visa are processed for a permanent resident card once they reach the port of entry, and when it’s endorsed, the visa will serve as a temporary green card, allowing the immigrant to be a legal resident for a period of one year.

Immigrants are required to have either a dual intent visa or immigrant visa in order to enable them to officially immigrate to the United States.

There are also exit visas, which are not necessarily required, but are requested by the United States government for all foreign and United States nationals departing the country by air for the following destinations, and must hold a valid passport:




*Countries located in the Caribbean (except for the French West Indies)

Thank you for visiting Hollister Legal’s blog, an Austin business startup attorney. We write to inform locals about current events, news and law changes.